Monday, August 27, 2007

Market Value





Hey guys and gals! I know we have been lax in current post, but life has really kicked it up a notch for all of us and we are all now working on cool new endeavors. As you all know, I was recently a contributing style editor for this new online magazine, well now I've been upgraded to Editor at Large. Things are moving kind of slow at CAUGHT, but I just want to make sure that we are delivering the best work possible...so stay tuned for future issues. I knew I should have kept my big mouth shut with all my cool new ideas! Anyway, God has my steps ordered and I can actually get a feel for where my journey is going. You know how sometimes you want to do something in life so bad, but it just kind of never works out...or you get so close to what you thought was that "dream" position, but it didn't quite work out. And still for whatever reason, you have it in you to keep pushing. I guess you call it FAITH or wishful thinking.
Sometimes you just want something so bad and you want it now, but HE only gives you a taste in doses because you may not be entirely ready to digest the big meal HE has waiting for you. I think of it as a rationing of blessings. I know if I were presented with everything I wanted in life as far as a career and success all laid out on a table right now, I would probably go nuts and exhaust all my fruition from my labors. I might make irresponsible decisions due to my delusions of grandeur and in return not take advantage of the blessings given unto me.
My friend asked me this question...What are you worth? At first I didn't get it...like who really sits and thinks about what they're worth. Can you even ad value to your own self?
She further elaborated...."Remember reading about African slaves being put up for bids during the slave auctions?" This opened up a whole new dialog for me, therefore I want to share this with whoever is reading.
If you were big and strong you were worth this, If you were old and feeble you were worth that... The white folks and even some African "Bendedict Arnolds" thought blacks were worth $200 to over a $1,000 during slavery. If you think about your current salary and who you're working for, that same mentality has not changed.
If you're a black man with an Ivy League degree your worth this....and if you're a black woman with a master's you're worth that...If you didn't go to college your worth this...and so on...

I kind of got off task with this question but it just popped into my head at 10:55 am. What are you worth? Think about all your talents, strengths, and knowledge. If you were doing what you wanted to do as a career, what would you pay yourself, honestly? Are we really using our God given talents to our full capabilities? And if so, are we paying ourselves or Are we settling and just getting paid?

Getting paid and paying yourself are totally different!

Peace and Blessings,

Eddie Nicole

1 Vain Comments:

valentine said...

Thank you. I still haven't figured mine out.