Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Judge orders man in Ga. sex case freed


Wilson, 21, is a former homecoming king and athlete with a 3.2 grade point average at Douglas County High School in Douglasville, Ga.

His conviction stemmed from a New Year's Eve party in a motel room in 2003. Wilson and other male partygoers were videotaped having intercourse with a 17-year-old girl and receiving oral sex from a 15-year-old girl. He was acquitted of raping the older girl and found guilty of aggravated child molestation of the younger girl, which at that time was how state law categorized oral sex when the male was 17 and the female was younger than 16. At those ages, intercourse would have been a misdemeanor.

Wilson's felony conviction came with a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years and the requirement to register as a sex offender. That registration would restrict where he could live and work.

Bernstein argued in court last week that Wilson's punishment was excessive and violated the U.S. Constitution's ban on "cruel and unusual" punishment.

In his ruling Monday, Monroe County Judge Thomas Wilson, no relation to Genarlow Wilson, called his sentence "a grave miscarriage of justice."

The judge threw out Wilson's sentence, amended his conviction to a misdemeanor and sentenced him to 12 months, with credit for time served. Under the ruling, Wilson would not be required to register as a sex offender. This story broke my heart, because it was completely unfair . I'm so glad they finally resolved the matter, but I don't feel he deserve even a misdemeanor conviction. This whole ordeal changed this young man course of life. He was headed to college with scouts and scholarships waiting for him after graduation.. Over a lie an excessive law. He just had a blow job with a peer at a party, and for this he was sentence to 10 years. Thank god, he freed and I hope he's able to get his life back on track and put this whole thing behind him.

God bless him
Ms Ray

5 Vain Comments:

CoCo Benitez said...

A student of mine shared this story during morning "current events" and I intially felt she had the facts wrong...I mean....10 YEARS for some consensual "knowledge"..no one would believe that.

Blu Jewel said...

i've read that the punishment for certain sexual "crimes" are greater in the south than in the north. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but it seems that way.

the result of what took place wasn't cool, but people need to stop videotaping their sexual antics as trophies of their activities.

VANITY PAGES said...

This has happened so many times. I wonder how many other black men are in prison for false accusations. I'm so relieved for him and his family. Black men have to wake up and take responsibility for their actions! Stop taping sexual escapades and parading it around like it's o.k. Even if it was consensual.
When my little brother was in the 9th grade, he told a white girl that she was "flat-chested". She was upset and started crying. He didn't know that she and her parents would soon file a sexual assault report on his ass. He almost got expelled from school. My mother and I had to fight and write letters to the superintendent to keep him in school. The parents wanted him out, ignoring the fact that he was an Honors student with hops to attend an Ivy League. His school was predominantly white, so I wasn't surprised. I remember getting called flat chested in elementary school, and never did I ever throw a fit. That's life. My mother, my aunts, and I had a long talk with him about being a young black man in America, especially Texas. What is ok for most is not ok for all! We have to teach are young black men that this kind of behavior is unacceptable, and there are people willing to go the extra mile to make sure we as people will never succeed to our full potential.

Eddie Nicole

Caught Magazine said...

This story has really gotten under my skin. I am hearing so much about since I'm in Georgia. It really ticked me off because on the news they said a man was guilty of raping a 15 year old girl. When you are in highschool age is nothing but a number. Freshman and sophomore girls want to date the upperclass kids and most parents done seem to have a problem with that, but when sex comes into play everyone is yelling rape. I dont think the behavior is acceptable, but if these kids are too young to interact with students in the same school then 9th and 10th grade should not be highschool it should still be middle school.

Anonymous said...

It's just wrong, You and I both know this little girl broke her curfew and had to make up something to cover her ass. Not thinking it will effect someone life. I'm just so happy that this young man got a second chance. If we look at the numbers of bothers in prison and the number of brothers in college it's astounding. That's why it broke my heart when I read this story about a young man with his whole future ahead of him going to prison for some BS>>. That burned me. His parents should be proud they did a good job. We are still fighting in
America! it's not over yet. But who's winning?

From the D