Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Brotha Man Has the Plan....Understand!

How many of my 10 viewers (6 are friends) are into Poetry Slams? And if so, have you ever left feeling inspired and/or entertained? Other than watching random episodes of Def Poetry Jam when it was hosted by Mos Def and stepping out to an occasional poetry slam back in my undergrad, It has never impressed me...I guess I'm too cynical and sarcastic. But ya'll gotta feel me. Everyone's nodding heads and snapping...shouting to the poet "tell em girl!"... damn... Are we in church? I feel lame, like I'm being forced to participate. I like poetry and I can appreciate it in a card or in a book, but the live spoken word performances does nothing for me. I know... I can here you guys now, "Wow she's so insensitive". It's just, I have heard a lot of corny motherf#$%ers get on stage and try to get all sentimental and serious. Trying to make a local celebrity out of themselves by spittin' linguistic isms (lol...don't know what that means...just sounds right for this post)
There's the guy who can't really find a girl, so he gets on stage with his overly practiced performance of his ode' to sex and love. "My black beauty queen, this and that. The taste of your chocolate dripping into my mouth....." blah, blah, blah....like I said, cool on paper, but corny in person.
What about the my brotha's keeper poet? The one who gets on stage and gets mad at the crowd. He starts pointing in the crowd talking about how institutionalized the black nation is, defining the word "nigga"...got all the black folk who use the "n" word frequently (like myself) all uneasy ...making white folks feel all uncomfortable....that shit is comedy.
You got the black female poet with the all naturale' look...I call them "twig and berries", you know the ones who light incense and candles on stage, smelling like frankincense and myrrh, imagine Erykah Badu as a poet, naw she would kill it, but ya'll get the picture. I love my sistas and there powerful speeches of oppression and rising out of this chauvenistic society, but damn! Take it easy sweetheart! Some people just need to get laid...real good.
Can't forget our fellow brothers and sisters from another mother. The white folks are the worst. Most poetry slams garner large urban audiences, so they feel like this is there time to let us know that they understand the urban plight in America. Right!

I'm not trying to shit or hate on anyone's passion, but these are just my thoughts, and I know I'm not the only one. My friend brought this to my attention a long time a go, and I was always afraid to tell people how much a hated spoken word poetry in fear that I would be looked upon as an unintelligent derelict to black society. Thanks Aja, you gave me confidence to speak out.
Yesss...I feel so free...like the bird that flys high in the sky...overlooking the nation as we consistently prioritize our lives on jaded ideas and misconceptions about the next man, not realizing that the brotha man has the plan...cause it's all in HIS hands...HIS meaning the man upstairs...UNDERSTAND!!!

Didn't think so!

If you wanna check out sexy poetry that's not corny, go to my buddies site eclectik-relaxation
I can admit, I have enjoyed some poetry jam moments... here are a few poetry clips that I really enjoyed from Def Poetry Slam... I mean Jam (when Mos was hosting)

The Cool


The Inspirational


The Funny

4 Vain Comments:

matt williams said...

I'm one of the proud ten.

eclectik said...

Well Allllright

And I CANNOT agree with you more with your "types" that hits ish dead on the nail.

They get real real extra...frontin off like they some notha ish

When I type I want people to understand...I dont type poetry...I type one way conversations that rhyme lol

gotta tell me what's your favorite from the left side...you like the nasty Dime lines dontcha LOL

e.

VANITY PAGES said...

yeah thats true! they always try to act like they are coming up w/ some new shit or a new style and all the shit sounds the same. the examples u used were good one's b/c they are actually creatively expressive other than the stupid, "black woman, my chocolatey hershey's kiss, you make me want to hit, this and this...blah blah blah...bullshit!"

-ya gurl A

Lola Gets said...

Yeah, I dont say this often, but I dont like poetry readings either. I actually dont like poetry that much either, lol.
Sorry.
L