Monday, February 12, 2007

Underground Music: Supa Lowery Brothers



If I had to describe the genre of this group in one word, I would say "jazzhiphopsoulrnb" okay, so it's almost impossible to describe it in one word! Literally, the Supa Lowery Bros are the coolest, hottest, young jazz band that I have heard in a long time. Living in New York allows you to be surrounded by many (almost too many) people with talent. I mean, every second there is someone trying to hustle for a dollar doing anything-i.e. bums performing on the train for a little change is an everyday thing. However, it is rare to actually hear a performance that is REALLY good. The most memorable performance was hearing the SLB when getting off the train at Columbus Circle and it never failed that there was a huge crowd around them every time they were playing...and, I'm sure it doesn't hurt that the band members are attractive! They were selling their CD for $10 and I haven't stopped listening to it since. The vibe is relaxing, you can just let the CD play. The majority of the songs are instrumentals of course but, when there are lyrics, the words are incredibly
inspiring, deep, and thought provoking. I encourage you to support this band, they are not signed to a major label yet but you can purchase their self titled CD's on iTunes and CD Baby.


The group is made up of two brothers originally from Philly, Chris (trumpet) and Wes Lowery (drums). Also, Kwama Hall-Alto Sax, Aaron Bumpus-Bass and features Phatlace, Kazi the Blak and Pakeeso Young-guitar. You should definitely check out their websites: myspace.com/supalowerybros and www.supalowerybros.com

3 Vain Comments:

Anonymous said...

I checked them out. They sound good. You really don't hear music like this down south. Will they perform in the south?

VANITY PAGES said...

Make sure you check their myspace and website for more info.

Anonymous said...

I absoulutely LOVE good music I am a music freak! I went to the SLB website and these guys are so friggin cool and they ARE cute!