Tuesday, December 19, 2006

News: Why Americans Have a Reason to be Thankful.

Living off rats to survive




Zimbabwe mother speaks on her poverty- "I can't remember the last time I ate real food," says Elizabeth, the mother feeding her family. "We can't afford anything anymore. We're now just eating these rats to survive."
"Look what we've been reduced to eating?" she said. "How can my children eat rats in a country that used to export food? This is a tragedy."-CNN


I saw this on CNN today. While I was sitting around flipping through cable and eating left over Chinese food, complaining about life, I felt very guilty for being selfish in my way of thinking, spending, and living. Christmas is around the corner, and I pray that families who celebrate this event will always remember to be thankful throughout the year and the rest to come. We talk about poverty in America and how we should focus on our own country. We complain about how our socio-econimic system is out of whack. We talk down on Oprah on why it is that she "only" helps the poor Africans. What about us? Well, what about us? There is no doubt that people are in need in America and yes our socio-economic system has had a turn for the worst, but have you ever contemplated eating rats for dinner? Not because you liked it as a delicacy, but because you had no choice. No, I think not and probably never will. I have been living in New York for over a year, and the homeless live and eat better than many of the working class. While we stress, continue to gain weight, and try to decide whether or not to purchase organic food, how about we look at the bigger picture? OUR PEOPLE ARE EATING RATS TO SURVIVE! We have the ability, do you have the will?

0 Vain Comments: