Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Style: Accesories

Stunna Shades:

In the world of Big shades, I wanted to find shades that are reminiscent of the past, but of course fly for the present. I wanted to get away from the nostalgia of the classic Jackie O's. The "Nicole Richie-esq" shades are tired and boring. Lets try something fun and different for a change gang! Take a risk!
Readers consistently e-mail me requesting specific vintage finds. Recently a reader asked me about info on "real vintage" shades, and I think a found some that may be deemed fit for the unusual but stylish category.
When it comes to retro accessories and clothes, I try to go against the grain and research designers and labels that are not recognized or remembered. Here are a few that I would purchase myself.


GALS:
Remember "New-New" (Lauren London) from the movie ATL featuring TI and Big Boi? If not, you missed the most inspirational movie of that year. All jokes aside, check out her shades. These shades are like a very last minute purchase, meaning: they were probably cheap and cute enough to wear around town. I really enjoyed this look in the movie, very 1988 "southern girl". I would have loved to see her in something more original and not so off-the-shelf like the vintage finds below.

CHECK THESE OUT


Paloma Picasso 3707 in silver. Circa 1978. I know I would rock the hell out of these!

Vintage Christian Dior 2650. Circa 1981, FIERCE!
Christian Dior 2605. ORIGINAL!

GUYS:


For true eighties inspiration, check out the collections of Jamel Shabazz. His photographs captured the essence of black culture in New York where many of these trends were created.


Carrera 5413
My dad rocked these in the eighties at the beach and at family barbecues and I am sure he didn't pay over $30 bucks for them.
When you step out in your new sleek linens this spring, forget Tom Ford's over priced shades, slide these on for a mere $120.


My favorites, the Cazals. Few celebrities are rocking these. You may find fashion showstoppers like Big Boi, KelisNas, and Pharell wearing these to parties or on the red carpet, but not many regular folk. Cazals were made popular from Run DMC. I remember the ballers rockin' these way back when. When I say favorites, I mean most original. Can't anyone just wear these. One could easily look foolish and clown-like in an attempt to look fly. WARNING BE CAREFUL!!


For any questions on where to purchase these shades, just send me an e-mail.
If you have any additions that are reminiscent of classic eighties clothes or accessories or just have general questions, feel free to e-mail me at vanitypages@gmail.com or just make a comment, I enjoy the feedback!

1 Vain Comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the sunglasses