Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Rumor Mill: Monica might be getting dropped from J Records

Monica, who hit the scene in 1995, started off her career like a rocket - with each of her first two albums going triple platinum. But since then, her career seems to have petered out. Her third album struggled to make gold, and her latest album has sold barely 200,000 copies.

Monica's unlikely to be surprised by J Records' decision. Last month, in a last ditch effort to salvage her career, the Atlanta singer implored her fans to sign a petition supporting her latest album. Unfortunately for Monica, the petition garnered fewer than 1,000 signatures.

2 Vain Comments:

Ashley said...

The thing about Monica is that, unlike other artists (and I know people will disagree with me), I haven't seen much growth. I know she's been thru some real hard times, things I couldn't imagine, but her music sounds the exact same as when she was 14. Like, it's great to be consistent, but predictable is not going to sell records. She's beautiful, and talented....if she can afford it, she needs to hire a new team (publicist, stylist, etc.) and reach her more mature audience. I'm sure there are others who can relate to Monica's music, but at times I can't. It just seems like every song I hear from her is about being done wrong, or just super-sad. Maybe, that's her being true to who she is, but....it's just predictable.

VANITY PAGES said...

Very great response Ashley. Right on point! I feel the same way.